Exploring Climate Change

How has the climate changed during Earth’s 4.5 billion year history?

39 Responses

1. David says:

I believe that Earth’s climate has not changed much since it was formed, but I do not know for a fact what the climate was like then, or as much as I would need to know about today’s climate.

2. Megan says:

The Earth’s climate changed a lot since the Earth was ever created; the Earth has become warmer and colder in some eras, like the ice age. And also like when dinosaurs walked the Earth. Now the climate of the Earth is getting warmer and we have a lot of precipitation( in some areas more than others).

3. nevaeh says:

I claim that the earth’s climate has changed dramatically throughout time. my evidence is that we use to have ice caps all over the earth which made it colder. In the past 4.5 billion years of existing things have changed. We do have them large ice caps in random places, Minnesota was a place that had ice caps. The earth has split into vast areas and lost most of its ice caps.

4. Emily says:

The earth’s climate has changed drastically through time. Before the ice age the earth was warm.Then the earth had an ice age. During the ice age there were many glaciers. The earth warmed up and now keeps warming.

5. Kylie says:

The earth was once covered in snow and ice called an ice age. The temperature rose and melted the snow and ice. My evidence is during July, you will see a lot of leaves and plants.

6. Amadeo says:

I claim that in Earth’s long history there have been periods of time in which it was much warmer than it is today so that sea levels were much higher and inland seas were much larger. I also claim that in the time since then there has been an ice age in which glaciers went farther from to poles than Bemidji is and that we are currently in the midst of our planets recovery from that ice age. My evidence is that we can see in the middle of continents far from any sea fossils that are from sea creatures, also we can see striations and other features that show that relatively recently there were huge glaciers in the places I mentioned above, also our planet seems to be warming up as if recovering from this recent ice age.

7. neal says:

In 4.5 billion years the planet had gone through many changes like that it has been very hot and very cold. Sometimes the planet had been frozen by an ice age is where massive glaciers and a mass piece of land and forming the land. And global warming is where the planet gets hot.

8. Adrianna says:

We used to have a whole bunch of glaciers and ice caps, but it all melted which probably means that the earth heated up because of global warming. Global warming is caused by humans and they make pollution which leads to global warming. Over the past 4.5 billion yrs a lot of pollution has caused the earth to heat up and melt all the ice and glaciers. Causing it to be warmer and with less ice. This makes the greenhouse gas levels increase and make the surface air warmer.

9. Jestin says:

There was dinosaurs and back then it was very sunny and stuff but then they went extinct and sometime later the Ice age started and humans were born later on it ended and it was a normal climate until scientists made pollution kind of thing as of factories. Then some guy called Henry Ford made a car and then like 50 years later there’s factories and cars driving around which caused pollution which also caused Global Warming to start and skip a few years to present day Icebergs are melting and the North Pole is falling apart.

10. Dante says:

The Earth’s climate has changed over 4.5 billion years. My evidence is that climate is a natural thing and over time things in nature have to change.

11. Damian says:

I think that the climate has really just gone up and down during the time of the Earth’s existence. Like the Ice Age with the cold and the Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction Event which may have brought a lot of heat. The climate was more or less average like it is now, but probably somewhat hotter. And as time went on, the earth cooled down a bit, but the heat can have a chance of resurfacing later on in the future. The oceans, with the two poles shrinking with the global warming, play a role in the climate change, the jet stream brings the molecules around and kinda humidifies the land the rains happens to be falling onto.

12. Raven says:

Climate has changed drastically over the past 4.5 billion years we have been on this earth whether you’d like to believe it or not, but to give a little background about what climate change is, climate change is when the earth’s climate system has new weather patterns occurring. These new weather patterns can last for decades or even millions of years but how has it changed over the past 4.5 billion years? Well, the earth has gotten much warmer and will continue to become warmer due to the treatment we give our earth.

13. Olivia says:

I claim that since 4.5 billion years, there’s been a lot of climate change. My evidence is that back then there was more like ice caps forming in some places and now those places don’t get it. Minnesota for instance, we used to have ice caps but then it started getting warmer. In some places we can get more storms or “precipitation“ then we used to.

14. Isabelle says:

I claim the earth’s climate has changed a lot over time. My evidence is that there was eras of the ice age, and the dinosaurs, and glaciers.

15. trey says:

I think that the climate has gotten warmer than it was many years ago. I think that is why some of the old glaciers are melting. But I don’t know about a long long time ago like billions of years ago.

16. alec says:

The earth climate has a lot since it was created. Through the many different eras, it changed and got colder and warmer. Now we are facing the earth getting warmer and a lot of precipitation. (global warming)

17. caitlynn says:

I claim that the earth’s climate has changed. 4.5 billion years ago it was definitely cold because there was glacier/ice caps and there was a ice age. Today it is a lot warmer. we don’t have such things here in minnesota anymore. I am not sure how much it has changed but it definitely has.

18. Sam Tom says:

I believe that we as humans are the main reason for the Earth’s climate change,and that the billions of cars on Earth, each producing around around 19 pounds of exhaust daily, amounts to 19285000000 lb. of emissions, now I might be wrong on that.

19. alex says:

It has gotten much cooler being that way before the dinosaurs were around the entire world was molten rock (magma).then it got much colder after the jurassic period and that was called the ice age than it warmed backup and we got to where we are now.

20. Osaze says:

Earth’s climate has changed by getting colder in the past 4.5 billion years.

21. Isaac says:

I think the climate has gotten warmer over the 4.5 billion years.

22. Sarah says:

The Earth’s climate has changed a lot back and forth throughout the years. When dinosaurs were around it was much warmer and when there were glaciers everywhere it was colder. It also depends on the places on Earth you’re comparing.

23. cody says:

I claim that climate changes by the weather and hot and cold fronts that travel across the world and cloud coverage and sunny weathers. My evidence is the climate change is the years of ages.

24. ryan says:

I think the earth was a ball of fire and cooled down over time and when it cooled it turned into a planet with water and grass and trees. I think the climate has changed because in space it’s colder than the earth. I also think it’s getting hotter because the 7.5 plus billion people living on it is warming it up overall.

25. Carlos says:

I believe the climate of earth has gotten warmer and warmer. The reason I think that is considering that almost everything before was just ice. And then all of the ice just melted.

26. Caden says:

In the beginning, Earth’s climate was very harsh because of how hot the planet was at the time. Then over time as the Earth cooled and climate started to settle down the Earth went through ice ages and then the Earth warmed and then another ice age happened. I don’t know how many times this happened.

27. Mason says:

Earth has had many cycles with climate like the ice age then the glaciers in Minnesota and now with global warming.

28. Matt says:

The earth’s climate has changed a lot through time. There has been very cold times like the ice age. The earth is also getting warmer though which is why some glaciers are melting.

29. Pamela says:

It has changed dramatically. It has gotten so much warmer over the 4.5 billion years. We don’t have as many glaciers as we did 4.5 billion years ago.

30. Makya says:

The climate has changed by going from very hot to very cold.

31. Kendra says:

Climate has changed quite a bit over 4.5 billion years from hot climates and giant leaves to the cold ice age and glaciers to modern times were the north and polar region are cold and wet too in the southern tropics were its rainforests and beaches.

32. Kaylene says:

I think that in 4.5 billion years the planet had gone through a lot of changes, it had been very hot and very cold and that is why some of the glaciers are melting.

33. Kaylene says:

I think that in 4.5 billion years the planet had gone through a lot of changes, it has been very hot and very cold. I think that is why some of the glaciers are melting.

34. michael says:

The weather changed was by getting warmer because of global warming. But in some places it’s cold because it doesn’t get sun it’s kinda like a cycle.

35. Duran says:

I claim that the Earth’s climate has changed a lot. My evidence is that when the Earth was formed, it was really hot on our planet and couldn’t have life, but then that cooled down and then later dinosaurs came into existence. When the dinosaurs became extinct, an asteroid came and hit Earth, causing it to be hot again and the planet couldn’t hold life again. After a while, it cooled off and then the ice age happened, but now in the present day, it’s been getting warmer because of our advancements in the world and our air pollution going into the atmosphere.

36. Veronica says:

Earth’s climate has changed drastically throughout Earth’s 4.5 Billion years. There have been times where the world has been covered in ice and glaciers. There have also been times where the Earth is lush with green vegetation and a warm climate. Earth’s climate has changed a lot and is still changing.

37. Cali says:

I claim the climate has changed to be warmer, we used to have glaciers and snow everywhere, now we are losing glaciers and snow even in the coldest places. I think that this is happening because of pollution, which what we think is part of the cause of global warming.

38. Hailey says:

I think some ways that the climate has changed over the Earth’s 4.5 billion year history would be that the climate is getting warmer. For example, we are rapidly losing ice caps and snow in places where it is extremely cold. Like Alaska for example, the rising temperatures have caused coastal erosion, sea ice retreat, and permafrost melt. This state’s many ice caps are receding at unusual rates and are causing landslides that can be felt on the Richter scale. Another effect from this climate change is that the Alaskan wilderness is now experiencing more wildfires than ever. These are just some of the effects of climate change. I think this climate change may have to do something with the pollution in the air, which may be causing the temperatures to rise. However, these are only mere guesses.

39. Vera says:

I think that the climate has gotten warmer for the years. Because it continues to get warmer and if we look back to how cold it used to be we can obviously see that’s its gotten warmer.