The Earth’s Moon

What are the features of the moon?

71 Responses

1. Dante says:

The features on the moon are that it has very deep and wide craters.

• Dante says:

I claim that the Earth’s Moon has many features. My evidence is that the bigger and heavier the meteor is the wider and deeper the crater. Rilles are grooves in the surface of the Moon and Maria is large basalt plains.

2. David says:

The surface is a fine dust-like rock and there are many craters other than that the moon has few features as far as I know.

• David says:

The Moon’s features include maria, (Latin for sea) craters and crater ejecta, crater ejecta is the rock and other debris that has been ejected from a crater. There are multi-ringed basins, which are craters that have multiple “steps” on the inside of the crater going down, there are also craters with small mountains in them. There are also some canyons ( okay the joke will be made but yes, the moon is cracked) and some mountains that resemble cinder cone volcanoes.

3. Damian says:

The moon has a flattish, rocky surface on the moon. The moon is of a gray-scale color scheme and withholds craters on its surface.

• Damian says:

I claim that the moon has 3 major landforms, Craters, Maria, and Highlands. Impact Craters are created by impact of a meteor striking the moon. Maria, also known as the Lunar Mare and is ‘Sea’ translated from Latin, are the dark plains on the moon. Highlands are the opposite of the Maria, being closer to the Earth.

• Damian says:

I claim that the moon has 3 major landforms, Craters, Maria, and Highlands. Impact Craters are created by the impact of a meteor striking the moon. Maria, also known as the Lunar Mare and is ‘Sea’ translated from Latin, are the dark plains scattered across the moon, easier to see like Craters, and better to distinguish than the Highlands. Highlands are more so different from Maria, not holding a dark shape or color, but hold a higher, lighter one. Highlands are of a higher altitude than Maria, being a sort of Moon mountains and are more or less harder to distinguish than trying to find Craters or Maria

4. trey says:

I think that the features of the moon are mainly craters and mountains of rock. The rock is white to grey or black. The white rocks reflect the sunlight back to earth.

5. isabelle says:

The moon’s features are it’s gray and has dark gray spots on it. It looks pretty dull.

• Isabelle says:

The moon’s features include craters. It has big and little craters. The bigger the craters are the deeper the imprint. But it does depend on how far it falls from the atmosphere. The craters on the moon come in all sizes though. Rilles are another feature of the moon. They’re small volcanic features. They look like cracks in the moon. They are the most recognizable part of the moon.

6. Jestin says:

It has gravity that controls the levels of water on our ocean, there is a lot of craters on the moon from asteroids. It’s gray and it looks like a meteorite, a lot of people have placed flags on it another feature is it has many forms like the Solar eclipse.

• Jestin says:

The moon’s features. The moon has many features like it’s craters and rilles but I want to focus right now on the Gravity. The moon’s gravity can control the ocean on Earth, It also controls the levels like the North and South pole will have high tides while Africa has a calm ocean. It has many craters that were most likely made from asteroids that came from our solar system’s asteroid belt. The moon has many forms like the Waning gibbous and another that can happen rarely is the Solar Eclipse.

7. neal says:

The earth’s moon has its own gravity is ¼ the earth’s gravity on the moon it has one side that has the sun on it and the other with no lien on it as it goes around the earth it with have a full moon the and the new moon. there’s also the waxing crescent and waning crescent these are the quarter moons.

• neal says:

I claim that the moon had a man land on it and they have many craters many different types of craters. The moon even has a mantin that’s bigger than everest on the moon’s sefis. The gravity on the moon is ⅙ then the earth’s gravity. The moon has sevle different faces thare the full moon, new moon, waxing moon and the gibis moon

8. Emily says:

The moon has craters. It’s grey and has rock like dust.

9. Kylie says:

The earth’s moon has several phases. The first two phases are called new moon and waxing crescent. Waxing means getting bigger and waning means getting smaller. The holes on the moon are called craters. Craters are from asteroid impacts.

10. alex says:

What I know is that there are some very large craters on the surface of the moon and moon dust could cause silicosis and moon dust is sharp

11. Amadeo says:

I claim that the features of the moon are that it’s similar to to the Earth’s crust in composition, it also has many craters on its surface. It goes through phases of how much of it we can see at a time. It can seemingly cover up the sun perfectly during a solar eclipse. Its gravity is much weaker than that of the Earth but I don’t remember any precise value being put to it besides ⅙ G. It doesn’t have any sort of significant atmosphere but it does have some gasses around it as all objects do. As far as I know the relationship between the Sun, Earth, and Moon is much more interesting than the Moon itself. It’s surface is gray, lifeless, and devoid of noticeable fluids (the vacuum of space does have some particles in it so it could be considered to be a fluid.). The moon has been moving slowly away from the Earth since it was made. The Moon is as old as the Earth.

• Amadeo says:

I claim that the features of the moon are that it’s similar to to the Earth’s crust in composition, it also has many craters on its surface. It goes through phases of how much of it we can see at a time. It can seemingly cover up the sun perfectly during a solar eclipse. Its gravity is much weaker than that of the Earth but I don’t remember any precise value being put to it besides ⅙ G. It doesn’t have any sort of significant atmosphere but it does have some gasses around it as all objects do. As far as I know the relationship between the Sun, Earth, and Moon is much more interesting than the Moon itself. It’s surface is gray, lifeless, and devoid of noticeable fluids (the vacuum of space does have some particles in it so it could be considered to be a fluid.). The moon has been moving slowly away from the Earth since it was made. The Moon is as old as the Earth. The Moon is very far from the Earth being over a light second away if I remember correctly. The Moon is tidally locked with the Earth.

12. Olivia says:

I claim that I know Some features of the moon. My evidence is that its gray color, and its smooth and bumpy looking surface. Some other things are, craters. And one thing I also know from long before is that the moon has rilles, which are long, and thin tunnels.

• olivia says:

I claim that i know features of the moon. My evidence is that on moons surface it has some deep craters and some little craters. It also has some cracks throughout the surface. Some of the craters that land on the moon are either big or small. The bigger craters leave a bigger and deeper imprint, the smaller ones leave a smaller and little deep imprint. They sometimes also depend how far they drop from the atmosphere. The moon has multi-ringed basins. A multi-ringed basin is a crater that has steps going into the middle of it. The moon’s surface, can be very bumpy and smooth at some points.

13. adrianna says:

I know that the moon has deep and wide craters on the surface. The moon has Mares or seas that are smooth and dark with lava in them. The surface of the moon has kind of a dust like rock on the surface.

• Adrianna says:

I claim that the moon has many features and phases. My evidence is the many different phases it has, how much of it we can see, such as the New Moon, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, and the Waning Crescent. Some of the features on the moon are the Rilles which are any kind of valley, trench or crack on the moon. Maria which are a large, dark, basalt plains on the moon. Craters which are bowl-shaped holes on the moon that were created by asteroids hitting it. Highlands are landforms on the moon that are higher and appear lighter when you look at them. Rays on the moon are areas that shoot rays of the matter when impacted or hit.

14. alec says:

I know that the moon has some features. Like the craters,and moon rocks.And how its surface is grey.

• alec says:

I claim that the moon has many features My evidence is that there are Rilles which are lava chambers or collapsed lava chambers. Crater ejecta which is the stuff surrounding a crater. Domes are hollow half circles most likely made from a volcanic landform. And cinder cones which are low, wide, dark cone shaped landform made by a explosive volcanic eruption.

15. Raven says:

The moon looks gray, smooth, and bumpy with some really dark gray areas, sometimes the moon’s color will change to a red or a light yellow color, and sometimes it will become a crescent shape or new moon.

• Raven says:

I claim that the Earth’s moon has many different sizes craters my evidence is, the moon’s surface has some small craters and some big craters due to the fact that craters are created by the impact of meteors and because of that meteors travel at different distances and speeds for example, a meteor can be huge but land at a close distance creating a small crater or it can travel from a long distance creating a huge crater because it’s impact will be huge, another crater is the multi-ring basin which is a large impact basin with about five sometimes six rings.

16. caitlynn says:

The moon’s features, I know that the moon has craters from meteoroids that hit the moon at high speeds because it makes the crater indentation on the surface of the moon. The other thing is it has phase of how we see it from the earth and how it orbits around the earth as well. There are dark spots on the moon that are visible from earth but I do not know what they are called or how they appear there.

• caitlynn says:

I claim that I know some of the moon’s features. My evidence is the following.
      Maria, dark regions from solidified lava. Montes Apenninus is a rugged
      mountain range on the northern part of the Moon.
      Craters from meteoroids that hit the moon at high speeds that make the crater indentation on the surface of the moon.

• caitlynn says:

Maria, dark regions from solidified lava.

17. Samuel says:

The features of the Moon’s surface are as follows: large basalt flats called Maria, thousands among thousands of craters caused by asteroids smashing into the lunar surface, and I think there might be a mountain/mountain range but I’m not sure. The lunar surface also has a inch or so of fine dust that Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin left his footprint in. the Moon also has Phases: Waxing Crescent, 1st Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, the Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, 3rd Quarter, and Waning Crescent. (I’m pretty sure that’s the right order…) and I think they took the American Flag back with them or not, but just in case they didn’t, there’s a US flag on the Moon somewhere too. Some people think that the Moon is boring, but that is coming from people who have had entertainment at their fingertips for most of their lives.

18. cody says:

The features of the moon are that it’s the color gray it’s made of rock and it appears at nighttime.

19. Mason says:

Some features of the moon are craters, grey color, and the texture of the moon.

20. isaac says:

The Moon is smaller than Earth also the Moon has craters all over, and it’s gray.

• isaac says:

I claim that the Moon has many features more than just craters. My evidence is there are 5 main features, some of which are, Maria, big darkish flat areas on the moon formed by very old volcanic eruptions, Rills, long narrow valley looking things in the moon and Rays, a system of light color debris shot out by them crater making impacts.

21. Carlos says:

The moon is gray and has many deep craters.

22. Kendra says:

The surface of the moon include Craters, grey coloration, and is made of rocks and Cheese( just kidding not the Cheese part but rocks yes)

• Kendra says:

The surface of the moon include Craters, Highlands, The maria, Regolith, Rilles, Rays, grey coloration, and is made of rocks and Cheese( just kidding not the Cheese part but rocks yes)

23. Vera says:

All I really know is that the Moon has craters and that it is covered in dirt and most likely sand. I also know that the moon has different features in different parts of it.

• Vera says:

I claim that the moon has lots of different features. Some of them are Craters, Rilles, Highlands, Marines, and Lunar Regolith. My evidence, Craters are divots in the moon, and Rilles are Volcanic cracks in the moon.

24. caden says:

The features of the Moon that I know of are that on the far side there are more craters than on the near side of the Moon. I also know that it has the same mineral content as the Earth. The Moon is also gray.

• caden says:

I claim that I know the features of the moon. My evidence is the following. Craters are caused by asteroids hitting the surface of the moon. Highlands are the light colored areas of the moon while Marias are the dark areas of the moon. Rilles are narrow indents that resemble channels. Lunar Regolith is the part of the moon that has very fine soil. Rays are light colored ribbons on the moon’s surface that are caused by asteroid impacts.

25. ryan says:

The Moon is gray and has large carters. The Moon has less gravity than Earth.

26. Veronica says:

What I know about the moon’s features is that it has craters on the surface and that the surface is a grey color.

27. Hailey says:

The features of the moon consist of deep gray/grey craters, an almost rocky terrain, and a crust made up of different types of metals.

• Hailey says:

I claim that the features of the moon are lunar maria, rilles, craters, lunar regoliths, rays, and highlands. My evidence is lunar maria are dark/extensive ballistic plains. Rilles are very long, narrow depressions located on the surface of the moon and craters are deep circular indentations left in the exterior of the moon from the impaction of asteroids/meteorites. Lunar regoliths consist of loose soil that is made out of deposits of rock. Rays are light colored debris that has been caused by past meteors/asteroids hitting the surface of the moon. Finally, the last feature of the moon is the light colored highlands which were created from magma debris that took residence on the surface of the moon and cooled.

28. Sarah says:

I know the surface of the moon is covered in craters that were formed by asteroids crashing into it. There is also a layer of dust covering it.

29. Saze says:

The Earth’s moon is made up of compounded meteor rock that has been pressured into a huge moon overtime

30. Makya says:

The moon features are big and wide craters.

31. michael says:

The moon looks dusty and it looks dirty and grey.

32. Duran says:

The features of the moon include the grayness of it and the craters. The craters in our moon can range from being tiny to huge. Only one side of the moon faces towards us, so we can only see one side of it.

• Duran says:

I claim that there are many more features of the moon than I thought. My evidence is that we got to go to an investigation about moon features, and they wrote about more features on the moon. The main features on the moon are the maria, the lunar regolith, craters, rilles, rays, and highlands.

33. Cali says:

Some of the features of the moon are the craters, the surface of the moon must be somewhat soft or dusty, because there are footprints in the moon. The moon is also the colors gray and white. There is a myth that there is a man in the moon, though that is not a feature of the moon.

34. Pamela says:

When you look at the Moon from a picture there is a lot of features. the Moon has a lot of impact craters. above the craters, there are a few white spots.

• Pamela says:

I claim that the moon has many appealing features like Maria, rilles, crates, Lunar regolith, rays, and highlands. My evidence is Maria is a large dark basaltic plain made from ancient volcano eruptions. Rilles are small volcanic features normally flow from small pit structures. A crater is formed by a large mass in space( an Asteroid) that impacted the moon surface. Rays are bright streaks of debris that radiate from some large craters. Highlands are elevated areas created from accumulated layers of ejecta from craters.

35. Kaylene says:

I know that the moon is grey and some parts are smooth and other parts are bumpy.

36. Emily says:

I claim that the moon has many features. My evidence is the moon has rilles, craters, lunar maria, rocks and many more. The moon has more craters on the far side then the near side. Rilles are long trenchs. Lunar maria is dark spots where lava flows.

37. nevaeh says:

The moon has many great features, it has large craters from where something had made an impact on it when it crashed among the surface. The moon is gray, some spots are rough along with others being smooth. The moon is very cold at a whopping -280 degrees fahrenheit The moon is a large mass that orbits the earth and the sun at the same time, it is dusty and it’s hard to breathe while there for a stay. The moon is a very old structure and we have no clue on the age we just have a hypothesis on how old it really is.

38. Samuel says:

I claim that The Moon has many features. My evidence is that The Moon’s features are the Phases, Rilles, (long depressions in the Moon’s surface) lunar Regolith, (that conglomerate of rocks dust and dirt on the Moon’s surface) the Rays ( the pattern of ejecta around an impact crater) the Highlands (the elevated areas on Moon’s surface) Mare/Maria (the plains of basalt deposited on the Moon’s surface from past volcanic eruptions) the Craters (the indentations on the Moon’s surface).

39. trey says:

I claim that the moon has many features. My evidence is that it has craters mountains and plains. The craters are formed when meteorites crash into the surface of the moon and send rock and dust outward thus forming a crater. The rocks are a whitish-grey and reflect sunlight back to earth. That is why we can see it.

40. Alex says:

I claim that The surface of the moon is rigid my evidence is that its craters are deep and very long across and some you can see from the earth without a telescope. and the surface is dust and rock so definitely not flat or smooth

41. Megan says:

I claim that the moon has many interesting and unique features, like craters, canyons, mountains, a Multi-Ring basin, and many other things. My evidence is that a crater is a big hole in the Moon’s surface that was caused by an asteroid hitting the moon’s surface. Multi-Ring basins are craters that have sort of steps leading all the way down to the bottom of the crater, and the steps are all around the inside of the crater.

42. cody says:

I claim that the moon’s features is it’s color is gray it’s made of of rocks and it appears at nighttime. My evidence is that the moon has those features.

43. Makya says:

The features of the moon are Rilles, Maria, and Craters which are a bowl-shaped cavity in the ground. More features are rays which are just bright streaks of debris, Highlands, and Lunar regolith.

44. Michael says:

I claim that moon features have a lot of names but there is Maria which is a dark and large part of the moon. There is also the Highlands which is tall area’s from craters. There’s also Rays, Lunar, Craters and Rilles which are parts of the moon to But don’t forget it looks grey.

45. Carlos says:

I claim that there are plenty of features on the moon. Some features are Maria, rilles, craters, lunar regolith, rays, and highlands. Maria are basaltic plains that are large and dark. Rilles are small cracks in the moon. Craters are bowl shaped indents in the moon caused by meteorites and explosions. Lunar regoliths are Loose heterogeneous deposits of rock. Rays are semi bright streaks of debris that seem to have a circular shape. And highlands are raised up elevated areas that are spread all over the moon.

46. Mason says:

Maria- are the dark spots on the moon
    Highlands- are bright spots on the moon
    Craters- depression caused by impact
    Rilles- soil knocked away from craters
    Rays- indents/ depressed lines/ trenches
    Regolith- lunar soil

47. Sarah says:

The features of the moon are: Craters, lunar regoliths, rilles, rays, Maria, and highlands. Lunar regoliths are layers of loose rock deposits and rays are bright streaks of debris. Rilles look like cracks and are small volcanic features. Maria are basaltic plains made from ancient volcanic eruptions.

48. Ryan says:

I claim that the moon’s features are craters which are round like holes in the moon’s surface. My evidence is that scientists have taken photos of the moon and see the craters.

49. matt says:

I claim that the moon has many features. My evidence is that there are Maria, Rilles, Craters, Lunar Regolith, Rays, and Highlands. Rays are bright streaks that radiate from some craters. Highlands are elevated areas made from ejecta from craters being made. Craters are large holes made from an object hitting the surface of a planet or moon.

50. Caliyah says:

some features of the moon are, rilles, Maria, highlands, craters, and other I cant remember. Scientists know about these because they have both satellite pictures and have been on the moon.