The Earth and Its Moon

How do the Earth and the Moon influence each other?

53 Responses

1. Megan says:

The Earth and the Moon influence each other by the Moon causes high tides and low tides.

• Megan says:

I claim that the Earth and the Moon influence each other by the tides. My evidence is that the Moon’s gravitational pull is strong enough to pull the ocean nearest to the Moon, and that causes high tide. Also, the Moon’s gravitational pull also pulls the Earth towards the Moon, but not as much as the ocean that is closest to the Moon. It also pulls the ocean that is farthest away from the Moon that also causes high tide. So there is two high tides and two low tides a day.

2. Jestin says:

The moon’s gravity affects the Earth ocean by raising tides on some sides of the world. The moon is theorized to be a part of the Earth because of some Asteroid that was the same size as Mars.

• Jestin says:

The moon’s phases affect how high tides are on the planet. When the moon is in its first quarter all the tides on the planet will be calm and not high. The moon in the waning crescent the tides facing the moon will be high also on the opposite side.

3. David says:

The Moon influences us by changing tides and we influence it by keeping it in orbit.

• David says:

I claim the moon influences us by creating high and low tides and by using its gravitational pull to absorb impacts, and we keep it in orbit with our gravity. My evidence is, the tides change, the far side of the moon is riddled with craters, and the moon orbits the Earth.

4. alec says:

The Moon influences the Earth by pulling the water on Earth to make tides. And I think Earth influences the Moon by its gravitational pull which keeps the moon in orbit.

• alec says:

I claim the moon influences the Earth’s tides by its phases. My evidence is when the moon is at the new moon phase it causes spring tides. Also the full moon phase causes spring tides.The first and third quarter causes neap tides. And one last thing the Earth influences the moon by keeping it in orbit.

5. Trey says:

The Earth and its moon influence each other in many ways. The moon relies on Earth’s gravity to stay in orbit. The moon also pulls the water of the ocean which makes tides. The moon also reflects sunlight back on to Earth to give us light at night.

• trey says:

I claim that the Earth and the moon influence each other in many ways. My evidence is that the moon orbits around Earth and reflects sunlight back onto Earth. The moon’s gravitational pull also pulls the ocean’s tides by pulling the water and Earth toward it which is why there are two tides per day.

6. Damian says:

The moon helps pull the tides throughout the year in the water, while the Earth keeps the moon orbiting around itself with its strong gravitational pull as it orbits the sun.

• Damain says:

The Earth keeps the Moon orbiting around itself, and the sun has the Earth orbiting around it, with the same length of gravitational force. The Moon pulls the ocean towards itself which creates tides and pulls the Earth a little bit closer, which creates high tides in the alinement of its force and creates low tides on the sides of the Earth that are not in the alinement of its gravitational pull.

7. Isabelle says:

I know that the moon and Earth influence each other because the tides are pretty important. I heard it affects the human mind or something.

8. alex says:

What I know is that the moon is the reason we have tides.

9. Emily says:

The moon influences the Earth by causing high and low tides.

10. Samuel says:

The moon influences the Earth by influencing its tides, ( I don’t know how though ) and I haven’t heard of any ways the Earth affects the moon other than the Earth’s orbit keeping the moon from flying away.

11. Amadeo says:

I claim that the Earth and moon affect each other gravitationally. The Earth’s mass is large enough to keep the moon near it. The moon doesn’t fall onto the Earth because of its momentum which is perpendicular to the force of Earth’s gravity on it. Occasionally one of the two objects will pass between the other one and the Sun causing a momentary decrease in sunlight on the farther object. The Earth pulls things on the surface of the moon between them towards the Earth a bit making it weigh less, the same thing happens the other way around, this is what causes the tides on the Earth.

• Amadeo says:

I claim that the Earth and Moon affect each other gravitationally. The Earth’s mass is large enough to keep the Moon near it. The Moon doesn’t fall onto the Earth because of its momentum which is perpendicular to the force of Earth’s gravity on it. Occasionally one of the two objects will pass between the other one and the Sun causing a momentary decrease in sunlight on the farther object. The Earth pulls things on the surface of the Moon between them towards the Earth a bit making it weigh less, the same thing happens the other way around, this is what causes the tides on the Earth. My evidence is that we talked about how the Moon stays in orbit, we talked about tides in class, and solar/lunar eclipses occur.

12. nevaeh says:

I claim the moon and earth are similar in some ways. My evidence is that the moon and Earth are made of the same materials, now the moon has some damage and the how the moon reacts to asteroids and any impact of things then the Earth shall respond in the same way. The moon orbits the Earth which then the moon affects the tides, high and low tides are what we see physically. They have some differences which are the temp earth’s temp on the surface varies while you travel while the moon is around -280 degrees fahrenheit, another is gravity which is how we stay on the ground, Earth has a gravitational pull unlike the moon which then allows us float around.

13. alex says:

the Earths moon is the reason our planet has tides.

14. Olivia says:

I Claim that I know maybe a little on how the Earth and moon influence each other. My evidence is that tides are the most important thing that influences each other.

• Olivia says:

I Claim The moon’s gravity pulls on Earth’s oceans and distorts them, causing tides. My Evidence is, The water on the side of Earth closest to the moon experiences the biggest pull, and goes outward. The water on the opposite side also goes outward , and so does the two that follows the moon’s motion and Earth’s rotation. The Earth and moon are also made out of the same things. So we could see which ones are changing.

15. caitlynn says:

The only thing I know is the moon affects the tides or something on Earth and something with the gravitational pull its vague in my mind.

16. Kylie says:

The moon and the earth rotate the sun. The moon also reflects the sun onto the earth which illuminates onto the earth. The moons gravity pulls on the earth which causes tides to move in and out.

17. isaac says:

I know the moon influences the Earth’s tide.

• Isaac says:

I claim that the moon influences the Earths tide. Each different of the 8 moon phases move the tide in a different way from the last. It causes two high tides and two low tides each day. The Earth influences the moon by Earths gravity making the moon able to orbit the Earth.

18. Carlos says:

I know the moon has something to do with high and low tides on the Earth.

19. Mason says:

The moon influences our oceans because it changes the tides.

• Mason says:

For each moon phase we get different tides when the moon is at the new moon phase it causes spring tides when at the full moon phase causes spring tides and The first and third quarter causes neap tides and the Earth influences the moon by keeping it in orbit.

20. cody says:

The moon orbits the earth giving nighttime in the world.

21. Matt says:

The moon and Earth influence each other in a couple ways. The moon’s gravity causes the tides on earth and the Earths gravity causes the moon to stay in orbit. The moon also reflects light off it so we have light at night.

22. Kaylene says:

I know that the moon is the reason we have tides.

23. Ryan says:

The Earth rotates around the Sun. The moon is rotating around the Earth. The moon also affects the Earth, it moves the ocean and in the night it has a reflection of the sun. That’s why we have moonlight.

24. Veronica says:

What I know about how the Moon and Earth influence on one another, is that the moon influences the tides and Earth influences the Moon’s orbit.

• Veronica says:

I claim that the Moon influences the Earth because the moon changes the Earth’s tides, and the Earth influences the Moon because we keep it in orbit. My evidence is the following. The Earth keeps the Moon in orbit because it’s mass is large enough that the gravity is strong enough to keep the Moon in its orbit. The Moon changes the Earth’s tides because it pulls them towards it and forms tidal bulges that make the high tides and low tides.

25. Pamela says:

The gravity of the Earth influences the moon by keeping in it in orbit. The moon’s gravity influences the Earth by forming high and low tides.

• Pamela says:

I claim that the moon causes high tide and low tides, and the Earth keeps the moon in orbit. My evidence is the moon’s gravitational pull is strong enough to cause the high and low tides. The Earth’s gravitational pull keeps the moon orbiting around the Earth.

26. Saze says:

The Earth’s gravity pulls the moon close which causes rotation. The moon influences the Earth by causing low and high tides all across the oceans.

27. Vera says:

Well, how I think that the moon and earth influence each other could be because of the gravitational pull, or maybe its because of tides.

28. caden says:

I know that the moon influences Earth by making high and low tides. High tide is caused when the moon goes over the ocean at a coastline. The gravity of the moon pulls the water up with its gravity causing high tide. I don’t know how the Earth affects the moon.

• Caden says:

I claim that different moon phases make bigger or smaller tides on Earth. My evidence is that we looked at a table that showed different phases with the tide height. We also looked at a diagram that showed that a full moon and a new moon caused higher tides because they lined up with the sun which also pulls our tides so their gravity combined to make a super tide. The Earth effects the moon by keeping it in orbit.

29. Cali says:

I know that the moon affects the tide and certain animals do certain things depending on the moon’s different stages.

30. Kendra says:

The Earth and moon Influence each other by the moon is the opposite time of day the sun.

• Kendra says:

I claim that the earth and Moon Influence each other, My evidence is that the gravitational pull from the moon, Affects the tides on the earth because it creates a tidal bulge affecting the high and low tides.

31. Hailey says:

I think the Earth and Moon influence each other is when the phases of the Moon change because of how the angle/location of the moon changes, as it rotates with the Earth and Sun. Another way I think they influence each other is when the Moon pulls the water on Earth towards it. However, instead of this water actually moving towards the moon, gravity keeps the water down in place creating tides.

• Hailey says:

I claim that the Earth and Moon influence each other through gravity. My evidence is that as the Moon faces towards the Earth, the Moon’s gravitational pull causes the high/tides on the Earth. For example, high tides occur when the oceans bulge, which is caused by the Moon’s gravitational pulling the Earths oceans forward. From there, the Ocean’s bulge moves toward the coastline causing these high tides. Low tides occur when the bulge moves away from the coastline. Another way they affect each other is by how the Earth’s gravitational pull, pulls the Moon toward it. However, the Moon is orbiting too fast around the Earth for it to be sucked into the Earth. Also, when the Sun/Moon/Earth are in alignment, they cause the highest high tides and lowest low tides. The lowest high tides and highest low tides occur when the Sun and Moon pull the Earth’s ocean in different directions.

32. nevaeh says:

I claim the moon and Earth are similar in some ways. My evidence is that the moon and Earth are made of the same materials, now the moon has some damage and the how the moon reacts to asteroids and any impact of things then the Earth shall respond in the same way. The moon orbits the Earth which then the moon affects the tides, high and low tides are what we see physically. They have some differences which are the temp earth’s temp on the surface varies while you travel while the moon is around -280 degrees fahrenheit, another is gravity which is how we stay on the ground, Earth has a gravitational pull unlike the moon which then allows us to float around. The sun does play a part in all of this it pulls Earth towards it which then moves the moon into orbit, the moon orbits the earth which then orbits the sun as we know it. Now the sun is what gives us the seasons which we are tilted at 23.5 degrees which we alternate throughout the year, we are going into summer which the New Zealand is going into winter because we are getting more direct sun with that happening we are going to get more sun-like compared to New Zealand as they go into winter as we make our trip around the sun.

33. Adrianna says:

I claim that the Earth and the moon influence each other in many ways. My evidence is that the Earth’s mass is big enough to keep the moon closer to it. Since the moon’s gravitational pull pulls the Earth and the Earth’s water towards it creates our high and low tides, if the moon is closer to an area it will be a high tide but if the moon pulls away from an area it will become a low tide or have a low tide somewhere else.

34. alex says:

I claim that the moon is the reason we have tides my evidence is that the different
    moon phases cause different tides. and the earth keeps the moon in orbit.

35. cody says:

I claim that the moon’s gravity causes the tides my evidence the diagrams on page A24.

36. Carlos says:

I claim that the moon influences the Earth’s tides. My evidence is that the moon pulls the Earth closer to it causing 2 high tides 1 being in the morning and the other being later in the day(sometimes 2 are in the morning). And 2 low tides 1 in the morning and the other in the afternoon(and on some occasions, there is only 1 low tide). Also, new/full moons cause higher tides. And first/last quarter moons cause lower tides. Also, the moon orbits the Earth.

37. Ryan says:

I claim that the Moon is the reason we have tides. Also, the Earth’s mass is big enough to keep the moon closer to it. My evidence is the moon data table in investigation B.

38. Vera says:

I claim that the moon and earth influence each other by the gravitational pull, and because of tides. My evidence is that the Earth keeps the Moon in place because of the gravitational pull and because of how large our mass is. And the tides happen because of the Moons change in phases. Depending on what the phase is we get high and low tides