Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Mountains–Oh my!!

How are earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains related?

58 Responses

1. Lydia says:

I think that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related by different things happening to the different tectonic plates in the earth. When the tectonic plates shift and move that causes earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains to form.

• Lydia says:

I claim that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related by the way they are formed. The earth’s convection currents cause the mantle and Lithospheric plates to shift, and when they move they cause volcanoes and earthquakes. Convection currents cause sea-floor spreading and that along with the Lithospheric plates shifting that causes mountains to form on land and underwater.

hub, science. “Plate Tectonics, Volcanoes and Earthquakes.” Science Learning Hub, Science Learning Hub © 2007-2017 The University of Waikato, 9 Apr. 2010, http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/654-plate-tectonics-volcanoes-and-earthquakes.

• Lydia says:

I claim that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related by where they are found and how earth’s plates shift. The evidence I have to support my claim is earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are mostly located along countries that border the pacific. On the coasts are where the subduction zones are located. The plates rubbing together and shifting causes earthquakes and the volcanoes form as the plates move over the hot spots. Rocks in the lithosphere float on the earth’s mantle and when the lithospheric plates collide, that causes mountains to form.

2. maddox says:

My idea of how are earthquakes,volcanoes and mountains are related is. They are all made by plate tectonic movement.

• maddox says:

My idea of how earthquakes,Volcanoes and mountains are related is that they all are made from plate boundaries and most of the natural disasters are from the plate tectonic movement.

3. Mya says:

They all involve the mantel and tectonic plates. Volcanos, mountains, and earthquakes are created by the tectonic plates crashing into one another.

“What Do Volcanoes, Earthquakes, and Plate Tectonics Have in Common?” ecusd7.Org, http://www.ecusd7.org/columbus/columbusstaff/rcanada/09kids/grant/volcanovideos.htm.

• Mya says:

Volcanos, Earthquakes and Mountains are related by are area and plates.
      Earthquakes are made by plates or plate boundaries colliding or moving against one another. most earthquakes are in the coasts.
      Volcanoes are formed when molten magma starts heading up to the surface but it usually doesn’t reach the surface and crystallizes into rock once again. Most Volcanoes are in the ocean or on a coast or edge of land.
      Mountains are formed by two plates colliding together forming a mountain and the thicker the lithosphere the base is lower and the top is higher. Most Mountains are on the edge of land or coasts and are nearby a volcano and earthquakes.
      These three things are all mostly on the edge of land by water or on a coast. they are also mostly close together by the plate and boundaries.

4. Raegan says:

I think that volcanoes, earthquakes, and mountains are all related because they are all created by the tectonic plates in our planet. When they each form, it has something to do with the tectonic plates shifting and moving.

• Raegan says:

I think that mountains,volcanos, and earthquakes are all related because all three of these occur due to plate movement. Earthquakes on a larger scale are usually going to occur near the subduction zone, as well as larger volcanos. All three are cause by plate tectonics. Mountains are formed when two lithospheric plates collide, then a lot of material is created and added to the area. Magma from the subduction zone then either goes to volcanos on non-subducting plate, or they stay down under the earths surface to form into rocks. When the lithosphere gets thicker, the mountains form. Earthquakes are formed when plates move and build up a force that could get bigger than the strength of the rock, causing the rock to break along a fault (where there has been movement in the past). When the rocks slide past each other, vibrations occur. Volcanos are formed when When the magma gets closer to the surface, pressure on it decreases, causing the gas to go our of the magma. The amount of gas depends on how severe the volcanic eruption might be.

5. Kyleisha says:

Earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related to each other because it starts with earthquakes, they occur when the plates collide together. Volcanoes are formed because of the spaces between plates, then magma rises up. Mountains are formed by the plates colliding into one another and it pushes the land up.
    S, Greg. “How Are Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Mountains Related to Plate Boundaries?” Yahoo! Answers, Yahoo!, 2007, answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080208215449AAPX91c.

• Kyleisha says:

I still believe that Earthquakes occur because of plate movement, it causes large forces to build up, the forces become more tough then rock, then the rock breaks. However volcanos can have a violent explosion or sort of a calm one where the lava just slides down depending on how much gas is in the magma. Volcanos along the mid-ocean ridge can be strong enough to build an island above sea, over time the islands move but new ones are also created. When subduction grows in volume, the base gets lower, so where it is more dense could cause mountains to form. The thicker the top, the lower the base.

6. Elijah says:

I believe it has something to do with magma rising up and bursting, at least for volcanos. Mountains are just volcanoes that have been affected by erosion and other natural things that could have affected the physical change in structure. I’m not so sure how earthquakes are related, they might occur when volcanos first form? I honestly don’t know yet.

• Elijah says:

I know as of now, that both of these events are related to plate tectonics. Volcanoes are formed when magma rises up through cracks in the earth’s crust, then cools. Mountains are really just cooled off volcanoes. And finally, when two lithospheric plates rub against each other, an earthquake occurs.

7. Lily says:

Earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are all related because they all have plates called tectonic plates. “Plate Tectonics.” Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plate%20tectonics.

• Lily says:

I believe that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains all are made by tectonic plates. Those plates collide together to make vibrations, magma to rise up, and the lithosphere thickens, they all also make disasters.

8. Allyssa says:

I think that mountains, earthquakes, and volcanoes are related because they are all formed by tectonic plates in the Earth’s crust and upper mantle. When they are formed, they all have something to do with the movement on the tectonic plates. Earthquakes are caused by the collision of two tectonic plates. When tectonic plates are pushed together or pulled apart a volcano forms. When the volcanoes erupt they form mountains. These landforms are usually close together because of this.

• Allyssa says:

I still believe that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related due to their relation to the plates in the lithosphere. However, I now have more evidence to support my claim. Firstly, earthquakes are caused by huge rocks in the lithosphere sliding against each other. Then, volcanoes are caused by magma rising and going through cracks in the Earth’s crust and when it gets to the surface and cools off it forms rock. Lastly, mountains are formed when a volcano erupts, cools, forms rock, and creates a sort of volcanic mountain. Another type of mountain is caused by two plates or perhaps two continents colliding, causing one of the plates or continents to slide under and thicken the lithosphere. This means volcanoes can form mountains, and when a mountain is formed there will likely be an earthquake because a plate is sliding under another, and this would happen in a subduction zone, which earthquakes are caused by. Finally, when a volcano erupts an earthquake can occur from the force of the hot magma shooting out of the Earth.

9. Briar says:

I believe that it is the movement with in the Tectonic plates and the magma flow create mountains and earthquakes because when the tectonic plates move they create Earthquakes and Volcanoes and when a volcano erupts it creates Mountains from the magma.

• briar says:

I claim that it is indeed the movement within the tectonic plates because the plates rub against each other. I also claim that magma would create mountains because when the molten hardens it would stick to other rocks.

• briar says:

I claim that tectonic plate movement and magma flow do create mountains because when magma sticks and stays there for some time it hardens which can add onto a mountain or maybe even create one or maybe even one day become another volcano. I also claim that tectonic plate movements came make a mountain higher or lower.

• briar says:

I claim that tectonic plate movement and magma flow do create mountains because when magma sticks and stays there for some time it hardens which can add onto a mountain or maybe even create one or maybe even one day become another volcano. I also claim that
          earthquakes are a factor of both of these the can cause a volcanic eruption which would not be good they can effect mountains to by lowering one or making it bigger.

10. Amaryllis says:

They are all related because of plate tectonics. Plate tectonics are plate just above the mantel the move and shift the Earths outer layer. To have earthquakes there would be two plate that make contact with each other and make a “quake” that makes that part of the earth move and pull apart. Volcanoes are made by when magma pushes the land and expands it and makes the volcano. With mountains, they can be formed in a lot of ways like when one place goes over another and make the crust over thicken and push up and make the mountain, there also made by kind of like how the first is made but instead magma is forced up and makes a mountain, and where there are faults in the crust and the rocks move past each other and one makes a block shape and the other rock drops and makes a graben. Earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are all made by when plates move and make contact.
    – Oskin, Becky. “What Is Plate Tectonics?” LiveScience, Purch, 21 Mar. 2016, http://www.livescience.com/37706-what-is-plate-tectonics.html.
    – Williams, Matt. “Mountains: How Are They Formed?” Universe Today, 4 May 2017, http://www.universetoday.com/29833/how-mountains-are-formed/.

• Amaryllis says:

Earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are all related because they all are formed when tectonic plates, or continents, push against each other. Earthquakes are usually formed when two tectonic plates push against each other and cause a vibration that can cause disaster. Mountains are formed when one plate goes over another plate and cause them to rise and form a mountain. Volcanoes are made two ways, first is when there is a “hot spot” somewhere in the rock where tectonic plates push against each other and magma is pushed up and second is where under water, usually in deep water, two tectonic plates push against each other and magma is pushed up and and sometimes creates a island and can make a volcano as well.

11. Vaeh says:

What these have in common is that volcanoes and earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates. Volcanoes are formed by tectonic plates smashing into each other and shooting upward, like mountains. These volcanoes have a hole, leading to the Earth’s mantle, where magma, or lava, dwell.
    “According to the theory of plate tectonics, Earth is an active planet. Its surface is composed of many individual plates that move and interact, constantly changing and reshaping Earth’s outer layer. Volcanoes and earthquakes both result from the movement of tectonic plates.”
    “Tectonic Plates,Earthquakes, and Volcanoes.” Lptv.pbslearningmedia.org, PBS, 2017, http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/…/ess05…/tectonic-plates-earthquakes-and-volcanoes/.

• Vaeh says:

I claim that mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes are all related according to their plates, for mountains and the lithosphere as it gets thicker, the plates push up, or when continents collide they shove underneath one another and form mountains. Take Devils Tower for example, that’s mostly sedimentary rock and it’s very dense, I conclude that the rock got thicker over time and the base became lower and the top became higher. The volume grew and it’s not hollow. Volcanoes are kind of special, they do have a hole on the inside and it forms deep down. where magma is kind of dense, but as volcanic gasses and pressure break down the rock it forms a volcano, the magma rises and its less dense than the surrounding rock, if it doesn’t reach the top it crystallizes and forms igneous rock. Devils Tower is igneous rock that intruded sedimentary rock and pushed up kind of like volcanoes but, not exactly. Earthquakes have tectonic plates that can shift up and down or push over each other and cause small earthquakes with short kilometer or very large earthquakes with great kilometers and a large magnitude. There is also surface faults that break and strengthen, and over time they slip and stick, and slip and stick, causing small earthquakes.

12. cyrus says:

my claim is that volcanoes is where convection currents from under the crust. Send up magma into volcanoes and mountains were formed from glaciers rubing on them. And earthquakes are from tectonic plates shifting under the crust.

13. Frank says:

I think their alike by being hurtful in many ways like dieing or getting really hurt. But they can also be kind of helpful by killing bad thing that can kill you. But they can also wipe out you’re whole house or village so they can be kind or good and bad at the same time.

• Frank says:

I think that mountains, volcanos, and earthquakes are all in the same topic because they are formed by the plates under them. When earthquakes happen the plates lock up then slip. When volcanoes happen they have a gas content in them some are lower and some higher. That’s how the stuff from the volcano’s come flying out or slowly sliding down the side.

14. Nariah says:

What I think on how they are all related is that earthquakes cause volcanos.Or earthquakes cause mountains to form. Also volcanos and earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates.
    -Nariah

• Nariah says:

I claim that earthquakes, volcanos and mountains are caused by faults. When the fault slides it causes and earthquake and the magma in a volcano is caused by a fault. a mountain is formed by a fault. My evidence is when faults slide they cause a vibration on how big the vibration is depends on how long the fault has been stuck.
      -Nariah

15. Aji says:

They are all alike because they all have to to with tectonic plate in the earth. Volcanos and mountains where formed the same way, from the plates hitting each other slowly. Earthquakes happen when the plates slip and cause the earth to shake, so the all have something to do with tectonic plates.

16. Lexi says:

Earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains all have one thing in common; they are caused by the movements of plate tectonics. While earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates smashing together, volcanoes are caused by the plates being pulled apart. Mountains are the product of volcanoes that have already erupted.

• Lexi says:

Earthquakes are caused by two tectonic plates sliding parallel from another. Usually when the plates are locked on a surface called a fault they stay there for a long amount of time. When they happen to slide again it causes the ground to shake, this is the cause of some major earthquakes. Volcanoes are a whole different story. Volcanoes can be caused by the oceans crust reaching such a low depth the temperature begins to make the ocean crust melt. However, this also could be caused by the water contained in rocks of the oceans crust (cited p. 480). Another way a volcano can be created in when the mantle makes magma and a line of volcanoes appear when plates slide over the hot spot in the mantle. Mountains are created when plates collide, these plates are lithospheric. When the plates collide material adds up on the area they collided. All of these processes bring me to think that they are in fact related to one another the reason being that they mostly have to do with the mantel and natural resources building up pressure, heat, or gases.

17. Cedric says:

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Mountains, are all connected through the movement of the tectonic plates. Mountains and Volcanoes are made by magma, right? But how does the magma reach the surface in the first place, and why does the ground shake in certain places. All of these can be answered in three words, “The Tectonic Plates”. The tectonic plates are what cause these “natural disaster”, when the tectonic plates shift against each other we get our first disaster, Earthquakes. Volcanoes are formed and magma reaches the surface in a large cluster and begins cooling, the magma can reach the surface only when the tectonic plates move way for the magma. Mountains form in the same way magma reaches the surface and cools, but for a Mountain to form it must cool completely. Most of the Mountains we see today have been here for millions of years, along with many Volcanoes. So in conclusion “Earthquakes,Volcanoes, and Mountains” are all connected through the movement of the tectonic plates, or the tectonic plates in general.

18. Cade says:

They are all the same or similar in this way:
    It started with the earthquakes move the plates move and clash together, then the gaps are where the volcanos are and the ridges are where the mt. are.

19. Shae says:

I claim that Earth’s landforms, like volcanoes, mountains and also geological activity like earthquakes are all due to the magma and the grating of the tectonic plates. The tectonic plates are massive, and are hundreds of miles long. Due to their incredible size, the slightest movements have the capability of causing massive damage. The vibrations cause the Earth to shake. These movements are referred to as earthquakes. Earthquakes are abundant, happening nearly all the time, but nearly always are so small that humans cannot notice them without seismology equipment. Another type of activity is volcanic activity. The magma within the Earth erupts most often on faultlines, which is where many earthquakes happen, also. Mountains form when the plates push together with tremendous force. In short, they are connected by the fact that they are all formed on tectonic plates.

• Shae says:

I agree with my previous statement but I also have new information. I now know that volcanoes and mountains can be formed on ridges, plates, and hot spots. These are areas in the mantle that are hotter than other areas, and due to this, these landforms are caused on the surface. The size of these are often smaller than mountains or volcanoes that are made on plates or subduction zones, which have made the tallest above- ground mountain, Mount Everest. Earthquakes are caused on plates, but not in hot spots. So, my opinion still stands that mountains,
      earthquakes, and volcanoes are all caused along plates.

20. Aurora says:

I think that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are related by tectonic plates moving. When they move they create earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains to form.

21. glenn says:

I think that volcano and mountains are alike until you reach the top. The volcano has a hole that is filled with lava, mountains have peaks at the top. Earthquakes are different because they use the tectonic plates to cause destruction. It’s the same thing with volcano they cause destruction.

22. daniel says:

I claim that all earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains start from seismic actives and inside the ground.

• daniel says:

I claim earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains all happen or form or spit out lava when the plates deep in the Earth start to move or they hit another plate.Or in the case of mountains and volcanoes when to plates hit each other instead of one going under or over they both push up and form a mountains or volcanoes. For an earthquake it is just two plate rubbing up against each other.

23. Samara says:

I claim that the mantle causes all of them. The mountains are caused by the mantle rocks expanding as they are heated. Volcanos start out the same way that mountains do. Then, as the rock rises it melts down into magma. Magma is less than rock so it rises to the top and eventually the volcano will explode, because of the magma pushing up. Earthquakes are caused by two plates banging together. The plates move, because of the mantle’s convection.

• Samara says:

I claim that earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are all related in the way they are formed or caused. Earthquakes are caused by faults. A fault is a fracture in the earth’s surface. Faults can also “slip” and “stick” which causes earthquakes. Also, earthquakes can be caused by two plates sliding on top of one another which is called a subduction zone. Mountains are formed by two lithospheric plates colliding or by the rock floating on the mantle building up. Finally, volcanoes are formed by rock melting and forming magma. The magma is less dense and rises and eventually pushes out the top. These volcanoes are normally found near plate boundaries. In conclusion earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountains are all related in the way they are caused by plates.

Benbow, Ann. Investigating Earth Systems. It’s About Time, 2008.

24. Kiara says:

I think that volcanoes, mountains, and earthquakes are related is all of them involve the tectonic plates and the Earth’s mantle.Volcanoes, mountains, and earthquakes are caused by tectonic plates crashing into one another.

25. ReAnn says:

What I think is that the volcano heats up or that the bottom of the volcano heats up from something that bothers it.
    The earthquakes have something like heat bothering it and it’s shaking it off. its like it vibrates to go above of the earth.
    The mountains were probably made by the ocean, or the dryness of mud.

• ReAnn says:

Volcanos, mountains, earthquakes all have to do with the plates.
      Volcanoes have magma inside of their mountain that heats up and it makes the volcano erupt. When the eruptions stop it the hot lava cools down and turns into rock and becomes a mountain. Earthquakes and the plates starts with a big shaking on the location or it starts with a small earthquake.

26. Eben says:

In my opinion I think that all of these things are related. Because earthquakes can destroy a land space and reshape it and could make mountains, and the volcanos can create mountains if they erupt. Earthquakes and volcanoes both have to do with the mantle. When tech tonic plates hit each other that makes earthquakes, witch has to do with the convection currents. Volcanos erupt because of the pressure in the mantle shooting out molten rock or magma.

27. Conner says:

I claim that volcanos, mountains and other landforms are all related to plate tectonics. When a volcano occurs the plates smash into each other causing a mountain with magma inside of it to eventually explode. While mountains on the other had to go through the same process except without all that nasty magma.

28. John says:

My claim is that mountains, volcanoes, and earthquakes are related because they are all a different kind of landform. Earthquakes change the way the ground is and sometimes form ridges, mountains and trenches. Volcanoes have hot lava or magma inside them and when they explode they burn holes through the ground. Mountains spike up because of earthquakes.

29. Ally says:

I think that Mountains, Volcanoes and Earthquakes are related by the formation of them by earths tectonic plates.
    Volcanoes and mountains do look somewhat similar and could be how they are both formed.

• Ally says:

I claim that Earthquakes, Mountains and Volcanoes are related by the movement of tectonic plates and the plates in the lithosphere. Volcanoes are formed by hot magma rising and cracks in the Earth’s surface allowing it to cool.Although volcanoes are typically in subduction zones there is another type of Volcano called a hot spot Volcano that are away from plate boundaries. Mountain ranges are formed when two lithospheric plates collide together, the thicker the lithosphere is the lower its base is and the higher the top is.Mountains tend to be closer in area by volcanos.Earthquakes are caused by plate boundaries colliding against one another and
      typically creating a fracture or fault in the Earth’s surface.
      All of these things typically occur on places that border the pacific, the subductions zones are along the coast.

30. cyrus says:

I claim that volcanoes are related to earthquakes and mountains because. They are all created by tectonic plates shifting but volcanoes have gas and convection currents. Pushing up the magma. But mountains are the result from tectonic plates smashing together that’s also how earthquakes are created. And that’s how I think they are all related.

31. chello says:

Earthquakes, volcanos, and mountains are related because earthquakes are caused by seismic waves under the earth crust the heat causes the earth’s plate to move and when they slide across each other it causes friction and when the friction builds up too much it will be expelled in seismic waves. Earthquakes may happen from tectonic faults (energy release associated with rapid movement on active faults) or in volcanic regions by the movements of magma in volcanoes such earthquakes can be an early warning of a volcanic eruption. Besides, often great damage to buildings and populated area earthquakes can surprisingly form mountains from a collision caused by two plates colliding in one another pushing upward until they raise the ground to form a mountain over a long period of time (theories say up to 100 million years for an averagely sized mountain).

ScienceDaily, ScienceDaily, http://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/earthquake.htm.

http://www.quora.com/How-long-does-it-take-for-a-mountain-to-form

“How Mountains Are Formed – Lesson.” http://Www.teachengineering.org, http://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/cub_rock_lesson04.

32. Cade says:

I clam that they are all caused by plates. Mountains are caused by two plates hitting each other. Earthquakes are caused by them rubbing together. Also volcanos are caused by the gaps in the plate that fill with magma. and allow air to flow giving the air flow needed to erupt.

33. conner says:

I claim that volcanos, mountains and earthquakes are all related to plate movements. Earthquakes are caused by plates slipping and then stopping causing vibrations and tremors. Volcanoes are formed when a mountain is formed by plate tectonics but is filled with gas that eventually might explode.

34. grace says:

Earthquakes,volcanoes and mountains are related by they all have something to do with the earth.although but earthquakes and volcanoes can damage the earth but mountains can’t because with earthquakes there are these plates that can shift.But they also go back and forth and those are the only two directions the plates can go.Then we have volcanic eruption and volcanoes erupted by the gas that is underneath the earth and that makes it heat up and the lava keeps on rise until it gets to the top.Then in mountains they don’t have anything special but there is one thing that could happen.That is when the volcanoes hit a certain point where they won’t erupt any more and they would turn into a mountain.

35. Aji says:

What they all have in common is that they all are made by tectonic plates. the plates make earthquakes by slipping. the volcanoes are made by the plates spreading apart and magma filling in between, and finally, mountains are formed with thick layers of the lithosphere and with a plate going under the other, so they all are made somehow with plates

36. Squash/Josh says:

Volcanoes, mountains, and earthquakes all happen due to convection currents, and here’s why:
    >> mountains:
    Mountains occur when convection currents cause two plates to push together. Seance the plates can’t go down or forward, they go are forced upward, forming mountains.
    >> Volcanoes:
    Volcanoes commonly occur when a convection current pushes up on the earth’s crust. Heat builds up underneath the surface, and as moru heat is made, more pressure builds up. Eventually the pressure is too great for the crust and must go somewhere. So it goes out. The magma, ash, and heat all come out of the earth in the form of an eruption.
    >>earthquakes:
    Most earthquakes happen where tectonic plates are forced against each other or are pushed due to convection currents. When the friction of the movement is too much for the strength of the rocks, it causes the earth to shake and crack.