Climate Change and Human Rights

Is the claim by indigenous peoples of the Arctic that climate change is a human rights abuse a valid claim?

29 Responses

1. Cassie says:

Currently, I don’t have enough information on the subject. However, regardless of how much pollutants we put into the air we still would be experiencing climate change. If what the Indigenous People are referring to is because of how rapidly we’re experiencing this change I would like to say no to some aspects (I’m not entirely sure about what rights we have). Do I think that Climate change at this rate is a bad thing, yes I do. I think that we need to be more conscious about what we’re putting into the atmosphere. This isn’t an issue that is just affecting them, it’s affecting the whole world. If it is a human rights violation, it should be applied to us all. In order to decrease the amount of pollution, not just in these regions but in other regions there needs to be more restcrictions, and advances to ensure a safer, more pollution free enviroment for all those living on the planet.

2. Logan says:

The claim made by the indigenous people in the Arctic do not have a reason to say that it is a human rights issue because they were in that area first. They are also adding to the greenhouse gasses but at much lower levels. I would like to know exactly what is changing in their environment that would lead them to the conclusion that we are taking away from them or hurting their environment in an unsafe way. It will be easier to determine the situation if we know what exactly is going on.

• Logan says:

The people making the claim do not give enough information to back their claim in this situation at the moment*

• logan says:

After reading the United Nations Universal declaration of human rights my opinion has changed . I claim that the results of climate change that people in the arctic are facing is indeed a human rights The people are facing many obstacles more developed countries are throwing at them based on their everyday lifestyles. Although they contribute to the greenhouse gases they are not emitting nearly the same ratios that other countries or areas are. In the Declaration the preamble says that if anyone is denied natural resources as a last opportunity at survival it is against human rights. They are definitely having their resources washed away making this a human rights issue.

3. Jenna says:

I would like to know what they are experiencing in the Arctic and why they claim it is human rights abuse before I can answer this question.

4. Darcy says:

I don’t know a lot about what the question is asking.

• Darcy says:

I think that climate change is a human rights violation on the Indigenous people of the Arctic because after researching, in article 3 everyone does have the right to live and feel safe, and in article 12 everyone has the right to protect there own homes, and also nobody should be forced out of their own homes.

5. Luise says:

I’m not sure about this. It is their right to say whatever they want, but I’m not sure if I would say that the climate change is a human rights abuse.
    On one hand everyone has the right to live on their ground, but the climate change is a thing not a person or something like that. It’s hard to say that’s the climate change is a human rights abuse. For me it’s more that we’re not (or not everyone) really trying to stop the climate change, is the abuse of human rights.

6. Allison says:

I don’t know much about their claim or any of the evidence they have, so I would like to know more about it. I would like to know their evidence and see their side, but until then, I don’t think it’s so much of a “human rights” issues but more of an environmental issue that has effects on human rights. The issue is much bigger than just what’s happening to them and I don’t think much could be done going at the angle they’re going. Countries aren’t going to stop doing something if they’re violating the rights of people outside of their own country, so I don’t think much will be changed. There are some effects on human rights but I don’t think that, climate change in general is a violation, is a valid claim. What’s happening to indigenous people is not targeted at them and is a 2nd hand effect of a bigger problem.

7. Melissa says:

I would like to know what the Indigenous people’s problems they’re facing or experiencing in global change?

• melissa says:

I claim that it’s a Human rights abuse. at first I didn’t have much information but after we did the articles and talked about it like what’s going on with the Indigenous people and climate change. most of the articles seems like they’re being abused. cause most of the Indigenous people’s properties are slowly being washed away.

8. Bri says:

I don’t think it’s a valid claim because there’s not much information to go by. I
    would like to know why they think it’s human rights abuse and what human right is being abused. Also to make the claim stronger, information like how it’s affecting the people and how bad it is would be helpful

• Bri says:

I claim that the indigenous peoples claim about how climate change is human rights abuse is a valid claim. I didn’t really have any information to go by before but I did after reading the declaration of human rights, and learning about what the indigenous people are going through because of climate change. In the declaration, most of the articles applying to climate change are being violated.

9. Chris .L says:

This question seems kinda confusing, normally when I think of human rights abuse I think of a specific amount or group of people who are mistreated by another group. I’d like to see or hear some more information about this claim as to why they think this would be a human rights violation when they aren’t necessarily being targeted.

10. Aidan says:

They don’t have any information or evidence on how it would violate human rights until they have valid evidence on it I would not consider it a human rights violation until they have gathered evidence on the subject.

11. Cassie says:

After considerable amounts of research on this topic, we have determined that this, in fact, is an infringement on human rights. This is a violation of at least ten of the rights stated in the United Nations Universal declaration. We can safely say that due to climate change several ways of life for many different indigenous peoples of various countries have been majorly affected by this phenomenon. This is not only a violation of them but will show a violation on future peoples.

12. Jenna says:

Yes, it is because at least ten of the articles of declaration said yes, which means that it does apply to human rights violation.

13. Allison says:

I think that climate change is a human rights violation on the Indigenous people of the Arctic because we have done lots of research on the subject and looked at the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In our research, we found that several of the articles in the UN’s Declaration were not being followed and that indigenous people across the Arctic and in other areas were having their lands and way of life ruined and taken away from them.

14. Luise says:

I think it is a valid claim, because many articles in the Declaration of the USA say it. For example Article 3, everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person or Article 27, 1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.

15. Ayana says:

Yes, it is, many of the articles are not being followed & and so, it is a human rights violation.

16. Dylan says:

I believe it is a valid claim because the indigenous peoples homes are being lost due to climate change, and a few of the articles state that this is a human rights violation

• Dylan says:

I claim that this is a valid human rights claim because, people are losing their homes due to climate change, It states in article 5 No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. The indigenous peoples are losing their homes and their culture due to something caused by people around the world contributing to climate change, and the amount that the indigenous people are contributing is very small relative to the amount everyone else is contributing. Therefore, I believe that this is a valid human rights claim

17. Llewellyn Grayhawk says:

I claim that climate change is a direct violation of peoples human rights. Article 30 states that none will use any rights that one has to destroy another’s rights. The right to property may be used to harm others through carbon emissions and since the natives live on ice their property is being taken away from them.

18. Ayana says:

In the beginning I wasn’t too sure on whether or not it was a human rights violation or not but now, I do think that it is a valid claim because climate change is caused on other people’s choices. Refer to article 30 where it states that none will use any of the rights in the destruction of another person’s rights.

• Ayana says:

In the beginning I wasn’t too sure on whether or not it was a human rights violation or not but now, I’m claiming that I do think that it is a valid claim because climate change is caused on other people’s choices. Refer to article 30 where it states that none will use any of the rights in the destruction of another person’s rights.

19. Cassie says:

In the beginning, we all thought that this particular issue wasn’t an infringement on human rights. Currently, the issue at hand is a human rights issue, nearly a third of the Articles in the Declaration of Human Rights apply to this situation. We as a class looked into this article to better comprehend this issue. Through news articles, and the scientific fact we have gained more knowledge to assess this problem. Especially since we’ve reviewed the Declaration of Human Rights.

What I’m claiming here now that I have some actual evidence is that this is, in fact, a human rights violation. Simply the fact that nearly a third of all the articles in The Declaration of Human Rights which was written by the United Nations applies to the peoples living under these conditions.

Articles that apply

Article 3
    Article 6
    Article 8
    Article 12
    Article 17
    Article 18
    Article 21
    Article 28
    Article 30

Not only are they losing their homes, but they’re losing their way of life in some parts. Their hunting and spiritual practices are becoming harder and harder to keep up. Imagine any family tradition that you’ve been doing for years, something that you really love, and now you can’t do that because something has taken it away from you. That’s what some of these people in Alaska are experiencing. You can go to The Guardian and watch, and read, and listen to the strife people in Newtok Alaska. Hopefully, that will be enough to convince you that this is, in fact, a human rights issue. Originally I didn’t believe it myself until as a class we investigated.

20. Luise says:

I claim…. to say as an indigenous person of the Arctic that climate change is a human rights abuse, it’s a valid claim.
    My evidence is… the Declaration of the United Nations. For example Article 12 or 30. Article 12 says that everyone has the right to have the protection of their homes. And that’s not happening anymore because of the emissions, they are on of the reasons that the people lose their homes. And Article 30 says that every person has the right to own property, but their property is taking away from them through the climate change.

21. Joe says:

When I was first introduced to the situation at hand in New Tok Alaska I couldn’t correlate it to a human rights abuse by my understanding of human rights at the time which wasn’t up to par with the UN’s definition of human rights.
    Now that I have a clear understanding of the UN’s definition of human rights I can safely conclude that the people of New tok Alaska are facing human rights abuses in that they don’t have the ability to feel safe in their current situation. Not is it only their land being lost due to environmental factors it is also their previous ways of life, it can be hard for a community which has been in the same general location for generations t simply bounce back to what it was before after a mass emigration.

22. Allison says:

I claim that climate change is a human rights violation on the Indigenous people of the Arctic. We have done lots of research on the subject and looked at the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In our research, we found that climate affects them by ruining their shorelines, the seasons change, they have trouble finding food, and they no longer feel safe. Also, several of the articles in the UN’s Declaration are not being followed, causing indigenous people across the Arctic and in other areas to have their land and way of life ruined and taken away from them.