Climates

What role do oceans play in global climates?

62 Responses

1. susan says:

Oceans can either cool down the global climate or warm it up depending on the temperature. If the ocean is warm, it could warm up the land it’s next to, if it’s cold, it could cool down the land it’s next to.

2. Lexi says:

I claim that the ocean affect our weather depending on how close we are and how warm the water is. My evidence is that when the water is warmer the area tends to be more temperate and the closer we are to the ocean the more it affects us. Water can also evaporate from the ocean and form clouds which may cause rainfall.

• Lexi says:

I claim that big bodies of water (specifically oceans) depending on the temperature can affect the climate in a certain area. My evidence is that states near the coast tend to be warmer than states that aren’t near the coast however this isn’t always the case. Water holds heat better than any substance which can affect the climate of an area near it but takes the longest amount of time to heat up. While soil heats up fast it won’t hold heat as long.

3. Lydia says:

I think that the role oceans play in global climates is that the number of wild disasters can go up, causing the climate to change. For an example, a warm front carried from the ocean can cause warm and dry weather and can cause fires and fires burning down trees can cause the carbon dioxide level to grow.

• Lydia says:

I claim that the role oceans play in global climate is they can affect temperature and precipitation. My evidence is if you are along the coasts by the ocean, the ocean is going to hold heat in and the temperatures will not fluctuate as much and have a little range. If you live in an area that is inland, the temperature is going to fluctuate a lot and has a wide range. How far away you are from the ocean can also affect how much precipitation the area gets.

4. Lily says:

Oceans has an important role in “shaping” our climate and weather patterns. Oceans can also be warm or cold depending on the temperature.

• Lily says:

I claim that they play a big roll, their role in climate is for the water to evaporate to make rain or snow. if the water is around a heated area the water could evaporate more easily and could rain more. If it’s in a cold area not much water would evaporate because there would be ice caps.

• Lily says:

I claim that they play a big roll, oceans are usually cool and not warm all the time, so when it does get heated the water heats up slowly. Their role in climate is for the water to evaporate to make rain or snow. if the water is around a heated area the water could evaporate more easily and could rain more. If it’s in a cold area not much water would evaporate because there would be ice caps.

5. Eben says:

Oceans have very big roles on the climate. Roles such as supporting life like plants or fish, or making climates humid or very arid. Oceans can also change the borders between land and sea by eroding the land and making cliffs or mountains.The oceans affect the global climate because of being a large source of water in the water cycle.

• Eben says:

The oceans have big roles in our climate and other climates all around the world. In our climate, the summers are very hot and the winters are very cold because of having no large body of water around like an ocean. Towards the coastal areas of land the winters and summers are not as cold or hot as the seasons inland, because of the water being clear it makes it so the climates near the ocean cool and heat up slowly. In areas that are inland and far from the oceans the soil cools and heats up fast, so the summers and winters are colder and warmer than areas such as the coast.

6. Eli says:

I know for a fact that oceans affect rainfall, considering that condensation increases when there is a body of water. They also affect the warmth of an area. Natural disasters such as hurricanes, also can happen on a coast to an ocean.

• Eli says:

My original statement was not wrong, considering that temperature and condensation are affected by proximity to an ocean. Climate is dependant on two things, altitude, and proximity to an ocean. The closer to an ocean the warmer the range of temperatures. An example would be a location in the middle of the continent having temperatures ranging from -30, 70 degrees F, when a place close to the ocean may have 20, 60 degrees F. Effectively narrowing the range making changes in temperature less significant.

7. Amaryllis says:

Oceans can make the weather more humid, cause more winds, and make big storms because of if its a hot day the ocean water could evaporate into the air and make it more humid.

• Amaryllis says:

I claim that oceans can change how the temperature and precipitation is because water holds heat the longest so the temperatures don’t change as rapidly as land more in the middle. Since there is so much water the water can evaporate and rain on land near it a lot more since there is so much water.

8. Raegan says:

Oceans play a big role in weather and affect it a lot. This is because the oceans move in currents continuously. These affect the land by adding more moisture, or providing less moisture. Dryness and moisture can affect how the land works, a lack of moisture can cause fires, making the carbon dioxide levels to grow.

• Raegan says:

I claim that oceans play an important role in affecting the climate and weather. If you are not close to a large body of water such as an ocean, you will notice that it will be more dry and have less rain and moisture. If you live near a body of water such as an ocean, you will notice more moisture in the air, more humidity, and more rain. Areas with less moisture are more likely to have fires as well. Areas near the ocean are usually more hot and humid, especially in the summer. Areas without ocean are more dry and cool, but can also change depending on the season. Summers for areas without ocean can get hot as well.

9. Mya says:

Oceans can play a part in global climates by its temperature and current. As the year go round, the oceans temperature changes, when the water is just coming from the Gulf of Mexico it’s warm but when it comes back down it’s cold from the arctic, which can affect the temperature of the land it’s around or next to because the water will evaporate making it colder.

• Mya says:

I claim oceans help make climate my evidence is that if the ocean is holding heat the land will be warmer because of evaporation going through the air. Oceans also help with precipitation which could make the climate wet depending on how much heat is present. Oceans can sometimes make the temperatures of an area cold or it could make it warm based on how much heat is being held and how far it is from the equator.

10. Samara says:

I claim oceans can affect global climates in many ways. My reasoning is that Maritime air mass have more moisture in them, because they form over the Ocean. Also, the wind that comes off of the ocean can affect an area’s climate, because is the wind is on the west side of a continent the ocean currents cause it to be cooler and dryer and the east side wind is warmer and wetter. Oceans are also the cause of the nor’easters terrorizing the New England eastern coast presently.

• Samara says:

I claim oceans can affect the temperature and precipitation of an area. My reasoning is water takes a large amount of energy to heat up and a long timeframe to cool down. This causes areas near oceans to not have a large range of temperature. Areas near oceans also get more precipitation as the water in the ocean is evaporating. This causes more moisture in the atmosphere. Consequently, the areas get more precipitation.

11. cyrus says:

Usually on the west side of a continent there is cold water but on the east side there is warm. This is because of ocean currents that move up side the continent.

12. Ally says:

I claim that temperatures depend on what type of ocean currents come to an area. Not all water is the same temperature and depending on where it came from can decide how humid or dry an area is.

• Ally says:

Oceans play an important role in global climate such as an area dropping or raising in temperature due to the wind that comes off the ocean and also precipitation from the ocean. Also the area by the ocean will have a shorter range in temperatures because the ocean has a greater heat capacity and there will not be a huge fluctuation in the temperature than an inland area.

13. Kyleisha says:

I claim that the temperature in the ocean brings together what happens in the weather pattern and climate. My evidence is that it could depend on what the water in the ocean goes to next like, evaporate. The colder/hotter the water is it can affect you depending on how far away or close you are from it.

• Kyleisha says:

I claim that oceans play a pretty big part in the climate. My evidence is that if you live in a area by or surrounding a ocean then you will have a smaller range or temps because of the heat capacity. The wind that comes off of the ocean can effect whether or not the temperature will raise or drop.

14. Josh says:

Oceans play many big roles in global climate. For example, because there are warm water currents on the east coast of North America, the east coast gets a lot of rain because of all the water evaporating at the edge of the ocean. Also, because of the amount of evaporation of ocean-water, if the wind is coming off of the ocean there is a much higher chance of precipitation.

• josh says:

What I said is true, oceans do play many big roles in global climate. But what I didn’t mention is how they affect the temperature. Oceans, like all water, warm up and cool down slowly. This means that the ocean temperature does not change much, causing the climate around it to stay approximately the same temperature all year round.

15. Allyssa says:

I claim that oceans affect global climates because of what temperature zone they’re in and what type of weather they cause. An example of a temperature zone would be tropical or polar. The climate may depend on oceans simply because of the temperature of the water. If the land touching the ocean is cold, the water is likely cold as well. Land surrounded by ocean water around the tropics is susceptible to hurricanes because of the water vapor from the ocean and how warm it is.

• Allyssa says:

I claim that oceans can affect the amount of precipitation and the temperatures. My evidence is that water heats up and cools down the slowest so areas along the coast or near a large body of water are likely to have warmer winters and warm summers with little difference between highs and lows. However, areas that are inland have colder winters and warm summers because the dark soil in the ground heats quickly since it has a lower specific heat capacity than water. Oceans affect precipitation because the further away an area is from a large body of water, it will probably have less rainfall and have dry air.

16. Aji says:

I claim a process evens the suns ray. the warm water moves to the poles. and cold water from poles go to the tropic. this process makes global climate.

17. Maddox says:

I claim that the ocean plays a role in global climate by when an ocean current. Heads towards a warmer area it carries that water to another area that is either cooler. Or has more salinity to it and thats how the ocean warms and how it moves constantly.

• Maddox says:

I claim that the oceans play big roles in our climate by how it moves constantly and. How it has the ability to hold heat and that heat can take a while to cool and can take a long time to heat up. But that doesn’t heat up all the time and it can cause lots of precipitation. Also the farther away that part of the ocean is from the equator the more cold the water will be and the amount and type of precipitation will change.

18. Marchello says:

I claim that oceans affect the global climate because water that is cool from the Atlantic can hep cool the air and if the air or water travels far enough it can cool the water or air it comes in contact with. and eventually after a tempter stays steady for long enough it can affect the land.

19. Frank says:

I claim that the ocean can play a role in global climate by moving water from the tropic and polar zones. Oceans also can be deadly by making hurricanes if they are the right Temp. and water Temp.

• Frank says:

I claim that places that are by the ocean have more wind and are more mild in temperature means that means that they stay in a certain range of temperatures. They also get more rain because the water from the ocean evaporates then goes up into the clouds then condensation happens that makes rain drops then the rain drops fall making precipitation. Places that are landlocked are much depending on wind direction and how much clouds are out and sun.

20. Robert says:

I claim that the ocean evaporate and turns to clouds then it rains to cool some places down if it’s really hot at that place. The oceans role in global climate is it could make the clouds dark, light, or make it foggy.

• Robert says:

I claim the ocean’s role in the global climate, if the ocean is farther away from the equator it’s cold which makes the place snow and if it’s closer to the equator it will rain. When a place is closer to the ocean it’s warm depending on the place like Antarctica it’s icy cold the temperature is mild since it isn’t hot it’s mostly cold, California is hot the temperature range is mild since it isn’t cold it’s mostly hot because they have the ocean which keeps the place warm , and Minnesota is cold since it snows and in the summer it’s usually hot so it’s not to cold and not to hot the temperature range in long the lowest temp was -30 and the hottest temp is 100.

21. John says:

I claim that most evaporation occurs in the oceans. It is good for the water cycle, because most water ends up in the ocean. There is more oceans than lands.

22. Nariah says:

I claim that weather affects the ocean to make the tides bigger. Temperature can also change the ocean with hot or cold water. Air can also change the ocean by making bigger waves or maybe if there was a storm wind can make it heavier.

23. briar says:

I claim that the weather will determine if the tides are warm,cool,low, or high. I also claim that the closer you are or how far you are from the equator depends on the tides level. So if its in a cold place they will be mcuh higher while in a warmer place the will be much lower.

24. Vaeh says:

The ocean is a pretty big part of the climate, the currents changing in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between/during seasons. The currents change because of 1) wind and 2) climate. The currents change and they regulate the climate. For example the Sun shining on the Earth a lot and it gets warm. The currents bring warmer water to the shores like when you step into the ocean, it is already pretty cold but it gets colder as you get deeper. The ocean can also cause natural disasters like Tsunamis. Tsunamis are caused by an earthquake in/on/by the ocean or ocean floor, it then travels many many miles for a while and can destroy homes and wreck many things. The ocean water also gets warmer/colder in seasons.

• Vaeh says:

Oceans play a big role in our climate for one, ocean currents and the distances away from homes affect the weather, it can be warm in a different town and colder in another town in the same country depending on which is closer to a large body of water, and the range of temperature in two different areas. In Minnesota, we have a larger temperature range compared to Maine, They have a shorter temperature range because they are closer to the ocean, it doesn’t get too cold or too warm over there unlike us, we have a large temperature range because in winter, it can get very cold and in summer it can be very warm and humid. Precipitation can also affect climate, the amount and the how often it rains. The ocean volume of water can change because of precipitation, if it rains very often large bodies of water can become flooded, the climate can become very moist depending on if precipitation occurs if can get foggy when water evaporates resulting in a moist climate. Large bodies of water can also affect our climate by not changing it at all if that makes sense… Climate is the average weather in an area so large bodies of water can change our average climate and possibly make it cooler.

25. Aurora says:

Oceans move in currents continuously they play a big part in weather. The oceans can make the land more humid, it can cause more wind, make big storms, and more or less moisture.

• Aurora says:

I claim that large bodies of water depending on the temperature can affect the climate. My evidence is that water can hold heat better than any substance, states near the coast are a lot warmer because the water holds the heat in. States that aren’t near the coast has a large range of temperature like in the winter time can be very cold and in the summer time can be very warm that’s because soil heats up fast but also cools down very quickly. States that are near the coast has a small temperature range like they can have a winter but it won’t be as cold as inland states, because water heats up slowly and cools down slowly. If a state is further away it will probably have drier air and less rainfall.

26. grace says:

I claim that depending on the temperature of the ocean it can cool down the global climates of warm up. But ocean I think can be bad as well for the global climates because they could possibly cause disasters like a tsunami. The ocean also supports us and animals also plant as well.

• grace says:

I claim that oceans play a big role in climate depending on how close the ocean is to the equator. The part of the ocean that is closest to the equator that area would be heated up more. Then that area of the ocean will affect the climate. By making the temperature vary on the warmer side. Also it depends on how the earth rotates and because the sun would hit different spots on the ocean so that would make the it heat up as well. It could also depend on what ocean your by, because some parts of the ocean take longer to heat up and also take longer to cool down and that could could also affect the climate. Because the air would be affected by the colder ocean so the temperature would maybe be cool or mild. Then if the ocean is warm then the temperature would be warmer and would be a mild climate. Another thing that could affect the climate is precipitation. Precipitation is like hail, snow and rain. So if it snows then that would make the ocean colder than it makes the ocean cold. Then the cold water affects the temperature of the air.

27. Kiara says:

Oceans can affect the temperature or it can cause ocean currents from wind, the ocean currents can cause a disaster such as a hurricane. The water can not always be the same temperature based on where it comes from, for example on the east side of the ocean is warm and on the west side it is cold.

• Kiara says:

I claim that the ocean can affect the temperature in a different area by its big bodies of water. My evidence is that areas that are close to the coast tend to get warm and cold but not as much. Areas that are not close to the coast get colder and hotter than places by the coast. Water can hold heat but it takes a lot of energy to hold it. When soil holds heat up it won’t hold heat for long. Clouds from when cooler air next to air that is heated near the ground pushes the warmer air which causes it to rise, once it rises the temperature falls.

28. daniel says:

I claim that the way the oceans affect climate is that if the oceans rise in a area it can affect the humidity and the temperature.

29. Conner says:

I claim that oceans are related to the climate because over warm oceans there is more evaporation than over frigid oceans. On the other hand there is more condensation in colder oceans than evaporation. This happens because warmer water evaporates faster than colder water. It relates to weather and climate because the evaporated water turns into vapor and forms clouds the clouds then depending on where they are formed will either rain or snow which will repeat the water cycle. Thus the rain will cause more evaporation or condensation.

30. Cade says:

I clam that oceans have a big role in the climate. The oceans hold a very big part of the world. The warm oceans can cause more evaporation which leads to humidity which means a mild climate. But on the other side the cold oceans make the climate colder and less humid.

31. Kashauna says:

I claim that the temperature from ocean affects the climate, as well as the weather patterns. It affects the climate by making it warmer, colder, and sometimes rainy. It really depends on which direction the water currents are moving, and how close or far we are from them.

• Kashauna says:

I claim that the ocean affects the climate depending on how far or close the area is from a large body of water. Areas close to large bodies of water tend to be a bit milder or colder. Areas farther away are warmer and more humid. The temperature also depends on which way the water current is.

32. glenn says:

I claim that the oceans have an important role in climate because evaporation happens over warm oceans. You can tell if its hot, humid,cold. Also the warm front and the cold front play an important part as well because warm oceans have more thermal or kinetic energy and may create warm fronts.

33. cyrus says:

And the way they hold heat can affect climate because. If they hold heat longer they will have longer summers but it cools of slower colder winters on the coast. But in the middle of the continent there will be even colder winters because the soil stays cool it doesn’t hold heat as well as water.

34. She says:

I claim that oceans change climate in a region because of their water content. The water causes constant humidity in a region due to evaporation, and more rainfall because of cloud condensation. They help to control the weather in a region by influencing the winds and the temperature, too. Winds increase because of air masses coming in from other places, and can cause an increase in temperature. Although thi is true, mostly the temperature stays similar year-round. There is less of a range because water works as an insulator, keeping the temperature pretty much the same. The differences in temperature are much less than that of a continental climate.

35. cyrus says:

I claim that water holds heat the best because when we tested it it did. And it shows on the coast it is warmer than the middle of the continent because. Soil doesn’t hold heat as well as water.

36. chello says:

I claim that oceans have one of the the biggest roles in global climate change because they not only can carry over melted ice caps but cool and heat slower which means that during the winter the coast of every continent is warmer than the center because the water is still warm and cooling down while the center is already cold because there is no water or large body of water to warm it up as fast as the coast does.

37. Cade says:

I claim that the oceans have a big role in the climate. The big difference between a land locked area and an area by the ocean is the temperature range. On the coast where the ocean is the range will be less because the ocean will take longer to heat up and cool down so therefore it will stay more mild year round. But on the other side of things we have land locked areas. If an area is land locked then it will heat up and cool down very quickly. So therefore, you will have a bigger range of temperatures. In Bemidji,MN it can get up to 100 degrees in the summer and below -30 degrees in the winter. Precipitation is another way that the ocean can affect the land locked areas and the areas on the coast. If there is a ocean by you then you are going to have more severe weather then if you live on the coast. For example: hurricane Matthews, it didn’t come up on the the land locked areas as much, it stayed down by the ocean where it can get more evaporation coming off of the sea, And that is why the weather is more severe on the coast than in the land locked areas.

38. Conner says:

I claim that oceans and other large bodies of water affect global climate because the area near the body of water will have a different climate than landlocked areas. This happens because water heats down and heats up slower than other substances like dirt. So areas around the body of water are either warmer or colder depending on the climate so in a cold climate the area around the body of water would be colder but for a warm climate it would be warmer than the surrounding area. This also increases the amount of precipitation the area gets. For a mild climate you would experience rain, for a colder climate you would get lots of snow. My evidence is we learned about this in a lab where we studied temperatures in air, soil and water.

39. John says:

I claim that the role oceans play in climate is that the warm oceans keep the climate of the coastal land mild and the temperatures don’t fluctuate. The rain precipitates into the ocean which is part of the water cycle. Areas near warm oceans experience more precipitation because of this cycle. Oceans and larger bodies of water are slow to heat up and to cool down so they affect the temperature and seasons of a climate. My evidence is from the lab we did in class with the beakers of water, air and sand.

40. Gaven says:

I claim that the role that oceans play in climate is that warm oceans keeps the climate mild and the temperature range does not vary as much. It also means that the precipitation will be in the form of rain and that there will be more of it. My evidence is that when we looked at climate maps areas on the coastline of warm oceans they had Mediterranean and humid subtropical. Also the lab we did with the air, sand and water showed that water takes a long time to heat up and a longer to cool down.