How to Spend the Money?

Sometimes people say that the United States shouldn’t spend money on space exploration when we have so many problems in our country that the money could be used for. Based on what you’ve learned about solar storms do you think this would be a worthwhile issue to spend money on, knowing that if we spend it on studying solar storms that means we can’t spend it on other things? Why or why not? Answer in at least two complete sentences.

21 Responses

1. Matia says:

I think it is a good thing I’m not in the government, because I am a little bit too indecisive for this question. I think it’s okay to spend money on space exploration, but it is also important to take care to the problems in our own backyard.

2. Leo says:

Yes, I do think it is a great thing to spend money on. I believe this because if we had no protections and it happened we would lose many more people than if we spent money to protect people.

3. Louis says:

If we didn’t explore space we wouldn’t know what could be threatening to us in space. If we don’t know what is threatening to us in space we can’t be prepared. So I think that investing in space exploration is good so we can be prepared for potential threats.

4. carter says:

yes becuse the storms can lost singgal on earth. and the power can go out and you can see.

5. emma says:

I think that we should not completely defund the space program but lower the amount of money we spend on it. We have a lot of problems as it is in this country, poverty, racism, disease. We should focus on our current problems before we move on to space.

6. Bella says:

Honestly, i think the money should be split. 3/4 of the money should go to the planet we are currently on and the rest should go to space exploration because some problems on Earth either aren’t worth fixing or can’t be fixed. We can use money from both parties to study these space storms and get a better idea on how they work.

7. Janessa says:

I think that we should keep exploring the space environment but also keep money for home for people without one and also food for people without food. When you think about it if we don’t keep exploring space we might have to deal with a lot worse then just some people without food or a home. So I would reckon we should keep exploring space but also keep some money for people without food or a home.

8. Julian says:

My choice for this problem would be to use it on the current problems. the reason I chose this is because the problems now are more important than some “space exploration”. Additionally, the problems now can cause more problems then some space stuff because space problems happen only sometimes, while others, such as general poverty, happen all the time.

9. Chris says:

I can’t really come up with one solid answer. I feel like spending money on space exploration is good. But I also feel like we should also spend the money on studying solar storms and fixing those problems. So overall I I don’t really know which one would be better.

10. zoey says:

In my opinion, I do not believe that we should be spending so much money on solar weather. I believe that we need to worry about the problems that plague the earth first before things that might happen hundreds of years in the future. I believe that if we can’t take care of global warming then were never going to get to the stars anyways.

11. Cole says:

I think it better to spend money on the country because we dont really need electricity to live to be completly honest. I think it is way smarter to spend money on the country because a life is better than electricity

12. Tori says:

I think it is important to spend our country money on space exploration, because if we don’t know when a solar storm is coming then the whole country might suffer. I also think that space problems would leave more damage on the country/ Earth, which would cause people to suffer especially if the power went out worlwide. So I think that its a good thing that the space exploration gets money, because they are helping us stay aware of what could be coming in the future.

13. Maverick says:

I think it is a good idea to spend money on it, but based on the history of the spending habits of America, I would say we should not spend money on it. There is no in between for the American spending habits, its either all of our taxes and efforts go towards it, or nothing happens. I would say, if we could spend a reasonable amount of money on it, then I would one hundred percent be on board. But, that’s not super likely with America.

• Maverick says:

As well as there already being issues that are not being focused on in our country, if we cannot solve the issues that are putting more people in danger than a power outage, then we should not try and solve issues that we don’t have constantly. Many people keep survival kits for power outages, tornadoes, and hurricanes, so the likelihood that many wouldn’t know what to do in this situation is pretty low. We should focus on more issues that take place everyday other than every now and then

14. Triston says:

I think the government should spend some money on scientists who study space and storms but the government should also spend money on the problems we have in the country like, making homes for homeless people, helping the people in need, and should spend money on medical services, including vets, so we and solve issues like cancer, but this is just my opinion.

15. Brogynn says:

I think that we should spend some money on finding out things about storms because it will keep people safe and then people would be able to predict when storms would be coming and if people needed to evacuate their houses or something. but obviously, not all of America’s money would be spent on storms because otherwise, we wouldn’t have anything that we usually buy with our money.

16. X says:

Now most people were thought I was kidding but I was now, I decide to use our budget to take the budget of the countries and solve both problems. This may be a bit unethical but what’s a little business.

17. Marin says:

I think the government should be spending some of the money on exploring space and also use the money to fix issues here on Earth. Some of the money we get should be used on space exploration because those things do still effect us and can cause a lot of damage, we should also be focusing on the problems we have on Earth that we can fix.

18. mya says:

Honestly, I think we should spend the money on the country because, we wouldn’t know if something big is gonna happen when a solar storm comes. Also I think it would make a huge impact on what happens to us down here, maybe something like a worldwide power outage. I dunno but yes, spend the money on the c o u n t r y.

19. Victoria says:

I think we should split the money on the country and exploring space because,we would need to prepare in case of a solar storm.Also I think it would make a difference if we use the money for earth’s damages.

20. Landon says:

Yes i think it would be a great idea to spend more money on space exploration. Because if we don’t we will be clueless to whenever the next solar storm will make landfall on earth.