Local Weather

Weather: Fronts and pressure systems

What do changes in wind direction, temperature, humidity and/or air pressure have to do with changes in weather?

25 Responses

1. Mandi says:

Well, I think that because the earth is getting warmer and it’s making more evaporation causing more and more clouds to come. The more clouds mean more rain and snow so now the weather in Minnesota is either snowy or more rainy than it was before, changing the weather.

2. lucas says:

I think that winds are the main factor in the local weather. Let’s say that it is -30 out and 45mph winds (this is hypothetical) that are blowing east. That wind is going to take the cold to other places. Maybe Wisconsin is 10 degrees then that wind will blow our coldness over to them and their temperature might settle at maybe -15 degrees.

3. Luke says:

Wind direction, temperature, and humidity are all involved in the weather cycle and play multiple roles in it, or where it occurs. Let’s start with wind direction, wind direction plays a very important role in where weather events take place. Let’s say, for example, that there was a storm over the whole state of North Dakota, unrealistic, but just imagine. The wind is blowing to the East. We now can make the logical decision that the storm will go the direction the wind is blowing the storm into Minnesota. Not the other way. Temperature plays an important role in the weather too, not only does the temperature affect how hot or cold the air is, but if it begins to precipitate, and the temperature is under 32 degrees, the precipitation will likely take the form of snow, sleet or hail. Over it raining. Humidity is how much water in the air around you. So with low humidity, the day will be dry, and vise Versa. The humidity scale goes from 1 to 100. These are some, but not all of the things that make up our weather.

4. Kael says:

From what I know, each of these things is a part and cause of certain weather. I don’t know exactly what air pressure has to do with weather, but I know that differences in air pressure can cause different storms or something of that sort and I always hear stuff about air pressure on the news when they’re talking about the weather. Temperature is also weather and a cause of it. Weather includes the conditions of a place at a certain time, such as temperature or precipitation. Temperature causes weather in a few ways, such as evaporating water which then turns into storms. Humidity is the level of water vapor in the air and is a part of weather, and a cause as water vapor forms clouds, which form into storms. Finally, changes in wind direction can shift where a storm is heading, like when Winter Storm Ezekial recently randomly shifted towards the northeast instead of following its originally predicted path, or when Hurricane Irma did the same and instead of just spinning out into the Atlantic, it veered towards Florida and Georgia. This is the maximum amount of stuff I know on this for now.

5. Madison says:

I think that the way wind directions change is when the world is spinning or the way the wind is coming from and it could change ways it wants to it can go north, west, south, and east. Humidity can change the weather because it feels like steam but it isn’t and then it could change the weather.

6. Iris says:

I think that wind will carry precipitation into or away from an area, and humidity will also affect precipitation. From my knowledge, I believe air pressure also affects precipitation.

7. Laurel says:

I think that if the direction of wind changes, it would affect where it changed. If the temperature changed in one place, it might be able to affect the places around it. Humidity could also maybe do something similar to temperature.

8. Kirsten says:

Changes in wind direction and temperature can affect changes in weather by having a lot of things change drastically. Like having the ocean currents go to different directions and have the temperature change in many different places. Humidity would change too because we need certain weather to have it.

9. Tryy || Aaliyah says:

Local Weather is around the area where you live. Like an average and typical type of weather near you, so in Minnesota it’s weird. But It’s usually cold and snowy, sunny and somewhat warm but not a whole lot, well maybe in Southern Minnesota. But it’s also rainy and cloudy here, and that’s the average weather in Minnesota. But with humidity in the air, it can make the summers more miserable here (honestly though) with humidity in the air. It makes the air damper and it’s awful with humidity around here. Air Pressure, I have zero clue with that (hopefully I’ll know by the end of the unit). Temperature is where you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere, either cold, hot or moderately okay. Wind Direction can blow clouds to where you live and it can do so many things with global warming nowadays it can snow, rain, be cloudy, hail, etc.

10. Barbara says:

I believe air humidity and air pressures have to do something with precipitation. So if the humidity is increasing this could be increasing precipitation. Maybe if the wind is changing direction then the current weather in one area could be drifted to another different area.

11. Wayne S. says:

Because of global warming and all that, the Earth is getting more warmer causing the temperatures and humidity to become either super rainy or super hot. You can kinda tell in summer in our state when on one day it can be a big rainstorm and the next day, it can be about 75º.

12. Lilianna says:

Those are all basically the things/signs we use to determine the weather. like weather reporters don’t talk about the atmosphere..or they kinda do but they don’t talk about it as much as they talk about temperature, they talk about how cold it is or if the world’s ending or just the temperature . Basically what I’m saying is that they all affect the weather, maybe one more than the other but they all have an effect on it, like humidity, temperature and air pressure can determine if there’s gonna be a tornado or they can determine a thunderstorm, etc.

13. xander says:

I think that temperature is changing the weather because the temperature is going up which can cause heatwaves and it can cause droughts. The Precipitation rates have gone up which makes can start heavy rain but if it’s below 32 degrees hail or snow can come down and hurt or destroy things.

14. M.A.M. says:

The changes in temperature and wind and etc, affect the weather because of the heat and force. If the temperatures drop because of the wind then it affects the weather because it is cooling down the weather. It depends on what the effects are because if it is humid, then it is going to be cool, if it is windy then it is going to be kind of cold, if it is hot and there is air pressure, then the weather is hot.

15. DeNniS says:

I believe that the wind direction has a lot to do with the change in weather because if it blows in from the north pole it will make the temperature drop. Humidity also greatly affects the weather because if it is humid it will make the air hot and dry and plus humidity only occurs when it is already hot outside

16. Sami says:

I think that air pressure causes storms. I think different levels of humidity and wind can also cause storms because of hot and cool air mixes. Different wind direction causes temperatures to change depending on what way it blows.

17. Cecelia says:

I know that wind direction carries different types of precipitation, like rain or snow, etc… Air pressure may also be a way that changes the weather, for example, air humidity, this causes the temperatures to be warmer.

18. oliver says:

I think changes in temp can cause winds to change direction. By making it colder you make air fall. By making it warmer you make air rise.

19. Marquis says:

Wind direction and temperature kinda fit together. The wind direction could be blowing from the north, making the day a little more cold. If the wind comes from the south it could bring warm air from the south and heat up the temperature a bit. The temperature is cold with a mixture of cold wind, makes the temperature more cold. But if the temperature is hot and there is warm air, the temperature heats up.

20. Mattt says:

If it is humid in Florida, humid weather is hot/warm and moist. If cool winds from the north come down it will cool down the temperature. The wind cools down all temperatures, Hot, cold, warm, absolutely freezing, and boiling hot. Temperature affects precipitation, If it is really cold the rain will freeze on the way down and will turn into snow.

21. mason says:

The changes in temperature can cause winds to change direction. When it’s colder the air falls. And when it’s warmer the air will rise up. Also when it’s warmer it’s typically more humid and when it’s colder it typically drier.

22. Hattie says:

The weather patterns are changing. I have noticed that the snow comes later.
    I still get cold and wonder if it is going to be getting warmer or if there is any way we can prevent it really.

23. caiden says:

The wind causes pressure which creates storms. The wind blows in many directions.

24. Benjamin says:

I think that the wind current has something to do with the change in weather because if it blows from the north pole it will cause a temperature drop. Humidity can also affect the weather because if it is humid it will make the air and wind hot and dry and also humidity only occurs when it is already hot outside.

25. Ethan Danielson says:

The Weather

Our weather occurs in the troposphere. More heat and gases are being held in that layer and causing changes in our weather. The ocean is heating up and causing more evaporation which affects the amount of rainfall and storms. The polar caps are melting which creates more water in the ocean. The air in the troposphere is hotter and there is more moisture which causes more extreme weather. The storms in the last few years have gotten worse. There are more areas that get droughts and that causes severe fires.